Who We Are

We are a small charity with a total income of less than €100,000 per year. One of the benefits of being a small charity is that we do not have large administration costs. We have no paid staff and all our fund-raising work in Ireland is carried out by volunteers. All administration and website maintenance is also done completely on a voluntary basis. Therefore, all money received from our donors goes directly to fund projects which will improve the lives of orphaned children in Zambia.

Our partner, OVO Zambia has given a guarantee to all participants and donors that 90% of all funds received by them will go directly to those for whom the funds are intended, to pay for school fees and food programmes. The remaining 10% will be used to cover the cost of training of councillors, office supplies, leadership meetings and other operational costs.

Dochas Logo

Our organisation is a signatory on the Dochas website. Dochas is an umbrella group of international development, humanitarian and global justice not-for-profit organisations who share a commitment to tackle poverty and inequality in the world. We are committed to ensuring that we adhere to all the principles associated with Dochas' Code of Conduct on Images and Messages. Members of the public who would like to comment on our application of this Code are invited to email comments by clicking here.

Our Irish committee is essentially responsible for fundraising, account-keeping and transferring funds to Zambia as required. The Irish committee is as follows:

Chairperson: Joseph Beggy

Joseph is a member of a Navan family which is well-known for its involvement in football and music. He works as an architect and teaches guitar in his spare time. He recently designed and drew plans (on a voluntary basis) for a building project in Zambia.

Picture of Joe

Secretary: Michael Kelly

Michael Kelly is the youngest son of Teresa and Gerry Kelly. He spent six months in Zambia after his Leaving Certificate doing voluntary work. He developed the website for the charity and keeps it updated on a regular basis. Mikie plays hurling and football with Navan O'Mahonys and has played at county level.

Picture of Mikie

Treasurer: Teresa Kelly

Teresa Kelly is employed by the Health Service Executive. She is married to Gerry, with three adult children. With the help of family and friends, she organises fund-raising events, mostly church gate collections, but also an occasional bag pack or table quiz. She also keeps the accounts and deals with much of the paperwork for the charity.

Picture of Teresa

Public Relations Officer: Monica McMahon

Monica McMahon lives in Kinvara with husband Pat. They both travelled to Zambia in 2001 and on their return, they became actively involved in fund-raising to support the work of OVO Zambia in assisting AIDS orphans.

Picture of Monica and Pat

Committee members:

Maura Beggy
John Coyne
Anne Marie Minnock
Catherine O’Connor
Catherine Tunney

Copyright © 2018 by SZOF/OVO Zambia (Registered Charity Number 20065171)
Kindly hosted by Digiweb